Important Thai phrases to learn before going to Thailand
At CAT in WATER, we’re trying to learn a few bits of basic Thai before heading abroad, and thought we’d share what we consider some of the most essential phrases or words we’ve learned so far. We know Thailand is on the dream list for lots of you, us too! We’ve also added a link to a really cool website where you can hear a lot of these phrases as well as access a bunch of Thai language resources for FREE!
WORDS & PHRASES
- Hello Sa wat dee kah (if you’re a girl) Sa wat dee krub (if you’re a boy)
- How are you? Sabai dee ru kah (if you’re a girl) Sabai dee ru krub (if you’re a boy)
- Fine Sabai dee kah (if you’re a girl) Sabai dee krub (if you’re a boy) hmmm…do you see a bit of a theme with the kah and krub?
- Excuse me (or sorry, like if you bump into someone) khor toat
- Thank you Khob khun kah (if you’re a girl) Khob kuhn krub (if you’re a boy)
- You’re welcome Yin dee kah (if you’re a girl) Yin dee krub (if you’re a boy)
- Yes Chai
- No Mai Chai
- I don’t understand Mai cow jai
- How much? Nee tao rai?
- Can you give a discount? Lot noi dai mai
- What is your name? Khun chee a rai?
- My name is… Phom chue
- I come from Ma jark
- Where is the bathroom? Hong nam u nai?
- Where is… Yoo tee nai (We recommend you keep a map on hand so that you can simply have them point to the location)
- Here tee nee
- Airport Sanaam bin
- Water Naam
- Beer Bia
- Eat Gin
- Drink Durn
- Delicious a roi
- I love Thailand! Pom rak mung Thai (This is one of our faves from this Phrom Thep site)
100 nin roi
Check out Learning Thai the Easy Way!